Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cold Lunch Draft 2 project journal #19


Why the west wasn’t won.

I don’t know what the hell I was thinking when I wrote this sentence. It’s kind of like yesterday, one of those things I heard somewhere, and decided to repeat while I was working on my list of random topics. As for something to say about it, I actually have quite a bit. I studied a lot of history in college, it was my major right up until graduation, and so I’ve had a few ideological discussions about the “wild west” and its significance in human civilization, especially in American culture. I’ll spare you a lot of it, and use a Star Trek reference to explain it.

‘To boldy go where no man has gone before.’

That is the idea of the west. It’s the idea of the frontier, going further than anyone else, exploring further than anyone else, and, according to manifest destiny, taking it away from whoever was there first because it’s our God given right.

As for why it wasn’t won. You can’t win something if you can never quite reach it. If the west represents the frontier, and the frontier represents the unknown, then you can’t win the west. There is always something new to explore. Space. Time. The bottom of the ocean. The human genome. There is always something to point the telescope at, and guess what. We can’t learn everything about everything. It’s an impossibility, mathematically, there will always be something unknown.

Thus, the west cannot be won.

As for winning battles, I won another small one today. Another scene and a half of Cold Lunch written, and another two thousand words or so punched into the computer. Earlier I was feeling better about this, but things have slid downhill since then. Just a bunch of personal problems really, but it dragging me down will probably drag my writing down with me. I dunno. We’ll just have to see where life goes.

Anywho, that’s all from me. Sorry, this post wasn’t all bright and cheery.

Do you think the west was won?

Ryan

Stats:
                Snowflake Completion: Done
                Pages Written Today: 4
                Pages Written Total: 41
                Pages Typed Today: 8
                Pages Typed Total: 74
                Word Count Today: 2,067
                Word Count Total: 19,984

As for an advertisement, I think I’m just going to ask if anybody knows any legal way to make some money real quick. Gotta buy those Christmas presents after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment