Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cold Lunch Draft 2 project journal #5


Self Publishing

Not sure how random of a topic self publishing is, but it’s something that’s crossed my mind every now and then so I figured I might as well talk about it.

…crickets chirping…

Alright, so I don’t know much about self-publishing. I’ve never published anything other than a blog post and a few fanfiction stories. So, as for publishing things to sell, I have no clue.

A couple of my friends, however, have self-published; I would like to say their experiences were atypical, like they made millions of dollars off of what they published. But, saying that would be a lie. They both put more money into publishing then what they’ve gotten in return. And, that’s what you see a lot with self publishing. A lot of hard work with no return.

Frankly, I don’t like that idea. Call me a hack, but I want to make money off my work.

I have thought about the free-ish methods of self publishing. Amazon and Smashwords, but that seems like it would be a lot of work too. And, I’m not too sure how that would look when I tried to go the traditional publishing route.

It seems a bit like a double edged sword. If it does well, and I mean really well, it looks good. If it doesn’t do well it looks like you went the self publishing route because nobody else wanted to publish your work.

So, I dunno.

If I did self publish, though, I’d probably use a penname.

How do you feel about self publishing?

Ryan

Stats:
                Snowflake Completion: Step 6
                Pages Written Today: N/A
                Pages Written Total: N/A
                Pages Typed Today: N/A
                Pages Typed Total: N/A
                Word Count Today: N/A
                Word Count Total: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment