Thursday, January 2, 2014

Raising Kain: Diseased God Foreword

Raising Kain: Diseased God
A Foreword by the Author

I’ve been thinking about this post for a long time. In fact, I’ve been thinking about it since I decided to publish RK:DG using this platform, and I don’t know what to say.

RK:DG was my first long form story. I’m not going to say it was a novel, because based on industry standard it’s not long enough to be a novel. It felt like a novel though. It had all the parts and pains that come with writing a novel, and I can still remember each of those clearly.

I’m not saying I can remember them like it had happened yesterday. The evidence definitely points against that. But, those memories are still there.

I remember being excited when the idea first took root, and the joy of sitting down to pound through the first ten pages or so. I remember the pains that spawned inside my mind when one problem or another developed within the plot. I even remember how I felt after the first, and only day, I sat down and wrote twenty pages in one setting. It was an exhausting experience. I didn’t’ write for three days after word, and I’ve never sat down to do that again. And, I remember the sheer exhilaration I felt when I typed “The End” onto that last page, and then the crippling despair one feels about four hours after the ink dries on the page. I’ve heard that described as a depression similar to that a mother feels after giving birth. I would have to agree with that.

Either way, no matter how you say it, Raising Kain: Diseased God was a bundle of good feelings. I will also freely admit it’s not my best work. It was top of its class when I wrote it, but I feel I’ve grown as a writer and become a vastly different person since I last sat down with the book. I hope you’ll understand that as well, and look at this book as a promise, a promise that things are only going to get better from this point onward.

Please, enjoy the novel, and I hope it keeps you perched on the edge of your seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment