Friday, July 11, 2014

Kickstarter


So, I started looking at Kickstarter a couple of days ago, and at first I brushed the thought aside. I was basically of the attitude that only people like LeVar Burton are able to be successful when it comes to crowdfunding. I mean really, can you tell me that LeVar Burton doesn’t have the money to do a little advertising and get a lot of people to know about it. But… But…

Then there’s this guy: Zack Danger Brown. Zack Danger Brown, if you didn’t check the link, is the guy who got on Kickstarter to make potato salad. That’s right… he’s making potato salad. His original goal for the project was ten bucks… and now he’s made somewhere in the area of $45,000 dollars. If I did the math right (and I probably didn’t) that’s an increase of 4,500%. 4,500%... Four thousand five hundred percent… I can’t… I can’t… I can’t wrap my mind around it, really I can’t.

Did he do it as a joke?

What was the point behind all of it?

I don’t know…

But, I get the feeling that if some guy can get on kickstarter to make potato salad, I can probably get on kickstarter and fund the publication of my book. (This is also another reason I decided to lengthen my project time.) And, I started looking at this and that, and I’m going to figure three months of time, writing full time instead of trying to split my time between a full time job in the exciting fast food industry and trying to get the story written while I’m dead on my feet.

And, I’ve looked at a couple of examples… maybe… just maybe… I am ready to take a step into this whole major kickstarter thing… Maybe…

Anyway, I’m going to stop flapping my jaws now and talk to you kids tomorrow.

Ryan
7/10/14

No comments:

Post a Comment