Saturday, April 26, 2014

Water (as a destructive force)

This will make the third time I’ve tried to write this post, and the third day of working on it. Though, yesterday was F*** It Friday, so I hadn’t planned on working on it then anyway. What I’ll do now, I suppose, is try to create some semblance of a post that makes sense in one fashion or another.

Water, H2O, is the most important liquid on the planet. The human body is composed of two-thirds water, our blood is salt water (also called saline) while protein thrown into the mix. The earth’s surface is two-thirds sea/ocean to one third solid landmass. Water also happens to be the number one most corrosive liquid on the planet as 100% of things placed in water will dissolve into nothing given enough time. It is also considered one of the most important ingredients in life. Life as we know it began in the sea billions of years ago, and in astronomy the number one goal in finding earth-like planets is finding planets with water on them.

Europa, one of Jupiter’s moons is covered in a thick layer of ice, and scientists believe that down past that ice is a water ocean, and possibly life. God only knows how long it will be before we can test that theory though. Our space program is moving at a crawling pace, and faster than light travel is still decades, if not centuries, beyond our capabilities. Though, according to Star Trek, we’ll have achieved faster than light travel (or Warp Speed, which is a way of bending space time and not necessarily moving faster than the speed of light) by the year 2063. That is also supposed to be the year first contact takes place in the early part of April (I forget which day), and that’s something I’m looking forward too. Lol. Even though the Vulcan’s are dicks and won’t allow us information to a reasonable warp speed for a century or more. I mean seriously, do you know how SLOW warp one is? Just play STO for a few hours and you’ll know exactly what I mean.

And, none of that has anything to do with water. Or how water is a destructive force. I think I might have started in that direction, but God only knows.

Anyway, things I think of when I think of the destructive power of water can pretty much be summed up in one word: Atlantis.

Yup, the mightiest of civilizations wiped off the face of the planet in three days and three nights. Tidal waves, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, yup Atlantis pretty much had it all.

Also…

The most powerful cutting tool on the planet, called a waterjet, is a hyper pressurized jet of water. I think. Pretty sure it can cut through a three inch thick piece of steel in less than a minute. But, I’m not sure. Again, I didn’t check Google.

And, that’s enough from me today.

Ryan

4-24-14/4-26-14

No comments:

Post a Comment